My Blog List

Monday, May 5, 2014

Pine Cone Wars and Bike Dancing


So much fun with my Sisar Thayne. So like I have said before we have this thing everyday called ''Err-bodies favorite time'', where we do something randomly fun to make sure we still got spirit and laughter and fun and we also remind ourselves that we really are still 19 year of girls, and let the happiness out.  This week after our amazing scavenger hunt, we were walking along a strange forest path to make it back home and I come up with this idea to pick up all the pine cones I can gather in about 3 nano seconds before Sisar Thayne realizes what i am doing, and start attacking her with pine cones. Needless to say we definitely had a pinecone war, in the middle of a forest, out side of our less-actives house in Tampere, Finland. Does life get much better? Or more fun? I'm not sure. 

The next day while trying to contact a potential investigator who said she wanted to come to church, turns out the address is bogus, and is actually this very interesting Punainen Risti Logistiksi keskus, stuck in the bottom of the only mountain/hill I have ever seen in Finland, very peculiar, because it is literally stuck into the rock face of this mountain mustavuori (black mountain) with all these video survellence, and there are dead squished frogs all over the ground. Very weird to say the least, and while we are biking down this huge hill, we start singing "another one bites the dust," and dancing on our bikes....If you have never tried bike dancing I highly recommend it, preferably in a place that not too many pedestrian are. Too fun, love this life.

Well it’s just been another good week to be in Tampere. Most of our investigators dropped us or we had to drop them, or they were Muslim and it turned out to not be a safe thing to teach them, so we have been doing the ten doors but in an exciting and more effective way.

Cool Story of the week, because we have been dropped or had to drop some investigators, we have been doing it in a different way to switch it up. We call it the scavenger hunt, because we are on a scavenger hunt in a specific area to find the few who the Lord has been preparing. The game is this; we have really no other clues to where these people could be except for through the Holy Ghost. So we have to make prayer a huge thing, or else it is just a guessing game. We broke up the ten doors and through praying always we were literally lead to 3 new investigators, and a couple of really solid potentials. This is in an area that we were about to stop going there as often because we never find anyone. There are 2 ways to not make missionary work as scary or stressful, 1. Turn into a robot (not effective, and usually discouraging) or 2. Turn it into a fun game and laugh when it gets awkward, and be grateful were in Finland. Worked like a charm! 

In church we have been learning a lot about gratitude. The Holy Ghost literally opened up my mind to understanding this concept better. Biggest thing that has been holding me back, my self and thinking negative thoughts. This is where Satan gets us the most. If he has us telling lies to ourselves, then he doesn't even have to do that much work to stop us from being the valiant servants we are. Negatives thoughts to myself such as, 'well I wasn't courageous enough yesterday so there is no way I will be today', 'should I talk to him/him? He'll probably ignore us', 'wow this bus is so empty, this woman will not be open to talking to me if I sit next to her, that’s too weird.' I have been realizing that although I'm not a downer type person, there are so many negative thoughts that are literally crippling my ability to work. When we train ourselves to think positively or even be a little more grateful to the small things, it literally opens our mind and eyes to see the whole picture and work better. 

Our investigator P. is progressing very well, it helps that he has a girlfriend who is a strong member. He just called us and told us that he went to church is Espoo so that he could visit the temple grounds and that he really wants to go in! This is the work we are doing, this Saturday he will enter the waters of baptism, and then in a couple of weeks he will be able to go to the temple and be a proxy for Baptisms in the Helsinki temple. He will then have the opportunity to feel the fullness of this gospel in the house of the Lord.
Also I hit my one-year mark as a missionary in one month! Wow times flying, and also sometimes crawls by slowly but, for the most part its crazy to think where I was last year at this time.
SNOW in May !!!!!!!!!!

Hyvää Vappua! Means Happy first of May, its a national holiday, and people get drunk like crazy and wear these funny party pants from their university, its a hard red day which means that if possible we are inside as much a we can. We had a Lu'au at the church led by one of the missionaries here and it was so fun and he taught the members how to Hula dance, and when we tried to get home we got stuck in the center because all the busses stopped, and let me just tell you, we heard the most amazing Native American music of my life, literally Sisar Thayne and I were entranced by it for about 10 minutes. Turns out the festival that happens in the center every year is run by this Native American group and they play music and sells clothes and bracelets, and food. It was incredible, so random but so fun, and I got a little surprise for my baby sisters, so Aria and Saige, get excited I was so excited when I bought it! 

Well I am very much out of time but I love you all, sorry if this email is all over the place but ya, The gospel is the good news, and as my Dad and Mom would say, its all about the Gratitude Attitude!
See ya soon Mom and Dad, for mother's day on Skype!

Rakkaudellani,
Sisar Hubner!
P.s. this is us after our pinecone fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment